Sunday, March 14, 2010

Way Too Cool 50K - 2010

Prelude To A Run

The Way Too Cool 50K was my first ultra marathon. I have been training for the race since December. During my training I overcame a rather bad IT band injury and a two week bout with asthmatic bronchitis (weeks prior to the big event). I know that I wasn't in conditioning that I wanted but it would have to be good enough.

I have been training with my running partner/neighbor Scott, a new group of ultra runners and the Folsom Trail Runners. Without these key elements I would not have realized my goal, to become an ultra runner.

Let the games begin.


Oh SNAP!

The night before the race a storm rattled Northern California. It was expected to rain and snow in Cool on Friday night as mass quantities of water poured all over the valley below. I live in the valley below and was happy to see Saturday's weather was going to be chilly but clear.

The morning of the event I went out to my car to load my gear in the trunk. I pressed the handy-dandy trunk release button on my car remote and nothing happened. "What the??" As I approached the car it was evident that an ice age had blanketed our city. My car was covered in thick ice. Ice cracked as I opened my truck. I went to the driver's side door and pulled up on the door handle. The door was frozen shut. "You've got to be kidding me??" I pulled on the handle with more force, nothing. I put both hands on the handle and pulled, gritting my teeth. SNAP!!!! I reeled backwards with my icy red door handle in my hand. My door handle snapped off!

I could only laugh. I was starting to run late and I needed to get down the street to pick up my neighbor and get up to Cool.


Welcome To the Endurance Running Capital of the World

Way Too Cool 50K is a 31 mile race in Cool, CA. Cool is a few miles east of Auburn, finishing area for Western States 100 Endurance Run and American River 50. Way Too Cool is the second largest 50K in the US, hosting 575 runners. It boasts 30 miles of single trail/fire roads, 3,600' of elevation gain and decent. It attracts some of trail running's best as well as new comers to the sport.

Since Northern California has been in El Nino's path for much of the winter, the ground cannot absorb any more water. Because a storm rocked the Cool trail overnight the keywords of the day were "water" and "mud."

I had never run the Cool trail before so I wasn't sure what to expect. I had studied the elevation chart and course map with aid station location information. I wrote down the distances to each major climb and aid station on my wrist so I could adjust my pace accordingly. It really paid off in the long run. Doubt and uncertainty were elements I wanted taken out of the race for the sole purpose of being able to enjoy my run.

Having never run in an ultra marathon I knew I had to adjust my mindset to how I approached the day. Do I push my pace? Should I be conservative? Should I kick it nature boy style and skip naked? I decided to run happy. Run because you love to run. Run because you love the environment. Run because you want to enjoy the experience. The journey is the goal, not the finish time. I know that I am capable of running fast. But I also know that I can push myself in a happy running zone that will put me in a respectable finishing time. Don't get me wrong, I want to finish well, I just don't want to go out too hard or finish at the back of the pack. I want to run my race.


Way Too Muddy - (Start to Mile 7.1)

I got to the start line less than a minute before the race began. I didn't have time to stretch or find my running partner. I was about 3/4 the way back from the start line. Not where I wanted to be. The race director gave us a few instructions and we all counted down from 10 to 1. We were off. As I started moving forward my eyes began to tear up. All of my hard training, set backs, mornings and nights away from my family, runs in the rain, cold and dark came to this moment. I was really happy. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I am proud of myself for setting this goal and committing to it. And I am here with 500+ people to realize the same goal and share and an experience. It's a wonderful thing.

When running in a pack of people I have the problem of running at their pace and not my own. I feel like an antelope running with the pack, do what the pack is doing so you don't do something stupid. It's as if the collective is bestowing upon me how I should run. I got lulled into a slower pace than I wanted. By the time I figured it out we were running on single track and passing was becoming difficult. But I found my rhythm and started to enjoy the course. At mile four I decide to stop to take a pic to upload to my Facebook page. I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea. I didn't realize that doing so would put me back further than where I wanted to be.

Muddy mile 4.

The trail was beyond muddy. There were sections that you couldn't even run through, you had to go around to avoid thick, deep mud puddles. But trying to keep your feet dry was a lost cause. We came up to our first of many, many water crossing and it was on.....splash city. Many runners negotiated ways around the water crossings. Some tip toed on rocks above the water line, some leaped across as if they were in a long jump competition. My philosophy is this... just freaking run through the creek already. I would rather have wet feet than risk an injury by slipping on a rock or misjudging a leap.

Between mile 6 and 7 the single track began to quickly descend. I was tip toeing around embedded and loose rocks, viscous mud and exposed roots. Runner were doing their best to negotiate the terrain, one misstep and you could take a horrible fall. Choose the route you think is best and pay close attention to what the runner is doing ahead of you. A woman in front of me made a bad choice and was in mud up over her ankle.

My friend Jesse greeted me as I was descending on the first aid station. "Hey! My buddy!!", I yelled. I was so surprised to see him there rooting me on. I wasn't feeling too great about running so far back in the pack so it was a major boost to see him.

Happy to see a friend on an unfriendly course.
(Photo courtesy of Jesse Barragan)

I charged ahead to the first aid station (mile 7.1). It was a total party. There was loud music, a line of volunteers waiting to fill bottles, tables of food and the banana guy. I handed my electrolite bottle to a volunteer and headed for the grub table. I grabbed some banana, pretzels, payday bars and Gu. I got my electrolite bottle and handed my water bottle to another volunteer. I looked up and the volunteer was Dirt Diva, Catra Corbett. "OMG!", I thought to myself. Catra has a blog that I've been following for a while now. In brief, Catra is a cross-fit, ultra running rock star with pinker than hot pink hair and covered in tattoos that would make Ray Bradbury's Illustrated Man stand up and applaud. She is by nature, as far as I can tell, the real deal. True to herself and an authentic original. She is on the short list of people that I would love to run with one day.

When Catra handed me my water bottle I told her how much I enjoyed her blog and thanked her for the water.

Yup. You guessed it. The Banana Guy.

A large group of people cheered like crazy as I left the aid station. I high-five'd the banana guy as I left.


The Root of All Evil (7.1 to 15.4)

I was completely amped when I left the first aid station. I just saw my buddy, I was assisted by the Dirt Diva and high-five'd a guy dressed up like a banana.

I was back running on single track, running happy. The Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby" started up on my iPod and my endorphins kicked in and so did the Cool trail gods. Before I knew what had happened I caught my right foot on a root and sailed to the ground. I landed with a hard "UMPH!!!" I landed on my stomach and chest. There was no time to brace for the impact.

Luckily I landed on soft trail and not on rocks. Had I done so I am positive I would have cracked a rib.

I got up. My knee was throbbing and my left hand and was bleeding. I needed to get off the single track and fast. I came up to a clearing and did a systems check. My core was sound, no blood or scrapes on my chest or belly. My knee was sore and cut up but I would be able to continue. I was bleeding from my thumbnail and finger.

I clean myself and my muddy water bottles. Runner after runner passed me by, putting me further back in the pack and unable to pass a lot of runners on the single track.

It took me a couple of miles to get over the fall. All I could do was leave it in the past. What's done is done, focus on what you are doing now.

400'+ climb at mile 10.

The trail was now parallel to the American River. We were running in and out of the sun, running through deep creeks and passing gorgeous waterfalls.

One of the many reasons why I like trail running.
(Photo courtesy of Becky Johnson)

By mile 13 I came up on a pack of 15 runners in a single file. They were running a slower pace than I wanted. We were on a narrow single trail. To our right was steep hill, to our left was a steeper drop off. Loose your footing here and you are in a world of hurt. I was getting frustrated with the train of runners. I wanted to pass, but couldn't find the space. I told the runners ahead of me that the leaders in the race would be heading back our way. When that happens your must give them the right of way. This really slows down your rhythm and pace.

Sure enough, Max King is leading race and headed our way. Everybody stops and steps to the right. "That's it!!!", I told myself. I couldn't take it anymore. I jumped up on the steep embankment and yelled "ON YOUR RIGHT!" over and over again. I was possessed. I didn't care about twisting an ankle or if others thought I was being rude. This is a race. I want to race! I want to run my pace, not what pack leader decides. I wasn't the only one to charge ahead. Other runners joined my exodus.

Two other lead runners came back towards me. After that I was able to run free to the next aid station.


The Battle at Ball Bearing Hill (15.4 to 21.7)

Happy to be away from the pack and in the harbor of the second aid station I spotted a fellow Folsom Lake Trail runner. We met few weeks ago during a Wolf Pack Night Run. These runs are for intermediate runners on technical trail. He is training for Western States. Heck of a nice guy, strong runner. Nearing the mid point of the race it was nice to be around a familiar face. We exchanged hellos as we gorged ourselves on food and drink.

This next portion of the race is a 6.3 mile loop back to our current aid station. This leg of the race is home to Ball Bearing Hill. When people talk about this hill it is often done so while wincing. Ball Bearing Hill is a 700'+ climb in less than a mile. Ouch.

One of the many creek crossings.
(Photo courtesy of Becky Johnson)

Around mile 17 I was greeted by my friend Jesse again and this time he brought our fellow running compadre Ken. They were yelling and cheering as I approached. I was stoked! They gave me a tremendous boost of energy and excitement.

Stunned to see my buddies so far into the course. Thanks guys!
(Photo courtesy of Jesse Barragan)

Just a word about Jesse and Ken. Jesse just ran the Napa Valley Marathon in a blazing 3:00:36! And Ken runs 30+ miles without blinking an eye.

After seeing the duo the trail began a steep descent which needed to be carefully negotiated. At the bottom I was greeted with a wide and deep water crossing. The current looked really strong. I watched a runner get in the water. The water just rose and rose up his body. Now, being a man of shorter stature I knew this was going to be a challenge. I pulled up my running belt which held my iPhone and waded across. The water came up a 1/4" from my crotch. And that is all I am going to say about that.

Deep water crossing. At what point does it become swimming?
(Photo courtesy of Becky Johnson)

The water crossing was refreshing and it felt good to have water clean off my bloody knee. We were greeted by a pair of volunteers at the bottom of Ball Bearing Hill. They gave us words of encouragement and the promise of beer at the top. We proceeded to a slow hike up the hill.

A look down at Ball Bearing Hill.

I imagine it is called Ball Bearing Hill because of all the loose rocks that acts like ball bearings. The trail was rocky, slick and steep. I just put my head down and powered ahead. "Keep moving forward" was my mantra.

Looking up.

At mile 21.7 were greeted by our third aid station. Happy to have the dreaded hill over we where happy to devour more payday bars, bananas, potatoes dipped in salt. I took an S-cap for good measure and loaded up on drink. I looked over and my buddy Deno was there. Deno is part of the Jesse, Ken running group. They are quite the trio of runners. Deno was run/walking the race. I am scared to think of how fast he can go injury free. I am so impressed with his determination to say "bullocks" to the injury, "I'm doing it."


You Won't Get-My-Goat (21.7 to 26.8)

The next section of the race is home to Goat Hill, another steep climb. It's not as bad as the last hill, but it short, steep and fierce. Compound that fact that it is deeper into the race and you have yourself a cramp-creating-machine.

I spent a good portion of this trail talking to a fellow runner from Connecticut. He was so impressed with Northern California and all of it's offerings. It was nice to see and hear the appreciation for our local trail. We tackled Goat Hill by keeping up the conversation and keeping the thought of the pain out of our heads. It really was a survival maneuver.

We made it to the top of Goat Hill and the 4th aid station hosted by Helen Klein. If you don't know who she is, read this.

I loaded up on more food. A female runner was complaining of cramps. Helen offered her some of the broth she was stirring over the camping stove. She said it helped with cramping. When Helen Klein offers advice, you take it. I took some both too. It's the best broth I've ever tasted. And great company and scenery too boot.


CHARGE! (26.8 to 29.7)

I left Helen's aid station with only 4.2 miles left to go. I was feeling great. Sure my legs were tired but I was still running happy. My only goal was to finish the race in the time window I gave to my wife. She was running herd on our three year old daughter. Not an easy task at a running event. Luckily there was playground near the finish line to keep her occupied, but for how long? I was going to finish close to her nap time and it really doesn't matter if I am running happy, because if Mommy is unhappy ain't nobody happy.

In this leg of the race you couldn't run 50' without coming up to a mud puddle. So I did the single greatest thing, I charged ahead through every mud puddle. I didn't care where the mud was going, how deep the puddle was. I was too tired to run around them. Charge on! Splash in the mud like a pig! Love the mud!


It's Not How You Start. It's How You Finish. (29.7 to 31)

I ran across highway 49 into the last aid station. There was a throng of people there cheering the runners on. I didn't need to stop for any food or drink. I waved hello and gave a great big smile.

The trail came to another steep climb, the final push. I called my wife to let her know I was close to the finish.

I came up to the "1 Mile" marker and cycled through my iPod to find the song "Ali in the Jungle" by The Hours. The song has been my motivation for weeks and I wanted to finish the race with it playing.

Last half mile of the course.
(Photo courtesy of Ken McKee)

With less than a mile left I ran up to our Folsom Trail Runner organizer Diane. She greeted me with her awesome spirit and smile. I yelled out a hello and sped up. With less than a half mile to go I could see the Cool Fire Station and more importantly the finish line. I kicked up my pace. Ken and Jesse were waiting, yelling and cheering. I was beaming. My legs felt as fresh as when I started. I turned a right corner for the finish line and my wife and daughter were waiting for me.

The three ultra amigos. Ken, Jesse & Deno.

My wife yelled to our daughter, Emma. "There's Daddy!" Seeing the two together brought up an tsunami of emotions. I was so happy to see them. They are the single most important things in my life. I reached out and grabbed Emma's hand so we could run together. We held hands for a short time but then she wanted to let go. She wanted to race me. I wanted to race her. She stomped on the mud and powered through puddles. She was covered from head to toe in mud. My little girl crossed the finish line ahead of me. She won the race.

Emma & me crossing the finish line. Future trail runner?
(Photo courtesy of Donia Smith)

The race was over and I spent the rest of the time with my family and friends. We exchanged stories, took pictures and enjoyed each others company. A perfect day.

Officially an ultra runner.
(Photo courtesy of Ken McKee)

OFFICIAL RESULTS
PLACE: 152
FINISH TIME: 5:39:10
AGE/DIVISION: 49
PACE: 10:55


Run Happy!
Scott

Run Happy.
(Photo courtesy of Jesse Barragan)


6 comments:

  1. Hey Scott,

    Great race and great blog (although you really didn't get your money's worth blasting through the course like that).

    My blog wants to be your blog whn it grows up!!

    See you in the woods at night,

    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Race Report but your pictures of Ball Bearing don't do it justice. Sounds like you ran a great race with the exception of the fall down go boom. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a great run! Ralph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog Scott, & great rundown of the WTC! :) Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott, nicely written...one hell of a job you did..and you give me way too much credit..time to give yourself a lot of credit...your pace was ace...the best thing you did was start out slow...don't forget to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice run! I too dream of running the western states 100, but I don't think I can ever get that far. I'm a cross country runner too, 20+ miles on any given day down the river.

    What I've always smiled about as I'm out on the trail listening to A&G podcast for hours as I go, wasn't it you who used to hate guys who run without shirts? I'm not sure because it's the radio, but I swear it was you? I'd laugh because I run on the trails with no shirt (but not on the streets mind you).

    Congratulations! And good luck on the WS100 lottery

    christopher.j.jackson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete